I love reminiscing about all the funny things I used to love and do when I was younger. I have seen something called the 90’s tag floating around YouTube and instead of not being sure whether something was legit 90’s or not. I thought I would just write a list of things I remember that make me laugh, make me happy and that I think a lot of other people will relate to!
1. I remember when boys we’re icky. When the phrase ‘boy germs or girls germs, no returns’ was used as you’d touch someone to pass on the boy or girl germs to them. Now you have to worry about catching proper diseases of boys and girls (you know what I’m talking about). Oh how things were so much simpler back then.
2. I remember when Claire’s Accessories seemed like paradise. Full of jewellery, earrings, the latest hair accessories, make up and other girlie things. Does anyone remember those trinket pots, they came out with lots of designs and I wanted them all! They had a present bow on one side then if you turned the lid over there we’re two wire like things with some little ornaments on top, someone tell me I’m not the only one who remembers these!
3. I remember when Tammy Girl was the most fashionable shop to get your clothes. I think everyone used to shop there if you were from around my generation and before.
4. I remember when stationary shopping made me very happy. I would raid WH Smith. New pencil-case, pencils, gel pens, sparkly fluffy pens, note books, rubbers and all that good stuff. I especially loved going shopping for new stationary for a new year at school. Ahhh all that fresh new stationary haha!
5. No shopping trip or day out with the girls was complete without some gorgeous group photos in a photo booth. Then the next thing was to, go in an apple store and use the Mac Photo booth to take pictures of you and all your friends in different effects. You’d then Bluetooth them to your phone and upload them to Bebo! Don’t forget doing the most cringe worthy poses you can. A personal favourite of mine was making a tick shape with my thumb and finger then placing it on my chin and doing the best moody pout I could or the look away from the camera pose!
6. I remember when receiving a sticker at school literally made my day. Sticking them on the front of your work book or to your jumper, if you ended up with two that day, you knew it had been a good day. That’s how you make the other kids jealous.
7. I remember when skipping was one of my top playground games. Especially when two people held a long skipping rope and you had to run in and start jumping then try run out again. Feeling like a pro when you succeeded without falling flat on your face or getting whipped in the face by the skipping rope. Singing rhymes like ‘Teddy bear, teddy bear touch the ground’ etc and having to do what ‘teddy bear’ is doing whilst skipping.
8. I remember when wearing tops with huge sparkly, obnoxious slogans and phrases on it was cool. Things like ‘A is for Attitude’ or ‘Beach Babe’ or something along those lines. I have only have one thing appropriate for this.
9. I remember when getting ‘corn rows’ or hair braids on holiday was a thing. You’d come back from being on holiday and feel super cool at school with your corn rows, or colourful beaded braid!
10. I remember when party bags were one of the best things about going to party’s, minus the cake and fun. Looking in your party bag and finding all sorts of pointless but amazing things, pencils, mini nail polishes, sweets, plastic toys, party horns and other novelty gifts in a little bag, it was the simple things! Down below you will see me super pleased with my party bag haha that face!
11. I remember when you would write I Love ??? or S.O.V.S (someone very special) on your hand at school. But then when someone ask who you’d get all shy and embarrassed and answer ‘NOT TELLING’. It was a major secret back then, I mean imagine if that got out and the person found out you liked them. That would be the end of your school life as you knew it.
12. I remember when Jacqueline Wilson books were the books that all girls read. I owned most of them and me not being a massive reader never read them, but I still owned a good collection of them and continued to buy them when the other hadn’t been read!
13. I remember some of the amazing TV programmes I used to watch. Saved By The Bell, Lizzie Maguire, That’s So Raven, Keenan and Kel, Tracy Beaker, Sister Sister, Recess, Rugrats, Two Of A Kind, Art Attack, The Amanda Show, 8 Simple Rules and the list goes on, oh how I miss them!
14. I remember when magazines were only good if they had quizzes in them. Mizz magazine was one of my favourite magazines because of the quizzes like ‘Find out which boy band member you would date’ or ‘Find out which member of such and such pop band your most like’ the answers I got to those quizzes were legit ok. As for when I was much younger I would pick the a magazine according to how good the freebie attached to it was and if it had a colouring picture in it!
15. I remember when summer was arriving at first school and you got to wear your gingham summer school dress with frilly socks. You’d feel super pretty and summary rocking up in one of those, funny how gingham and frilly socks are now stylish!
16. I remember when I used to listen to what my mum would call ‘Chipmunk’ music with my friends, DJ Boonie and DJ Cammy were two faves. These songs were quite often girls Bebo videos accompanied by some sort of sad story or cute love story to go with the music. Such great music taste.
These are just a few of the things I could think of. I had a little giggle thinking of these and reading through them, let me know in the comments if you remember any of these things, or let me know what classic funny and memorable things you remember from when you were young. If you want do a blog post of your own ‘I remember when’s’ and link me to it in the comments so we can all reminisce on these good times!!