Sometimes when you’re feeling down you tend to sit and wallow in the feeling, you mope around and feel sorry for yourself. We’ve all been there, when you feel like nothing will cheer you up or you just temporarily forget about the things that will make you feel better. I thought I would write a list of 10 things to do when you feel like your mood is in a downward spiral, I want to try to remember these things for when I’m struggling with my OCD, Anxiety or just feeling a little down. We forget there are things we can do to try to make ourselves feel a little better. So YOU, if you’re reading this when you’re down, its time to pick yourself, gather your thoughts and feelings and try to combat that blue feeling.
1.Create a playlist of songs that make you happy, the kind of songs that when you listen to you can’t help but want to sing or jig around to! Listen to the playlist when you’re not feeling your best, turn off those depressing slow songs, it’s all about the feel good music!
2.Grab a comfy jumper, onesie or your favourite PJ’s and put them on. There’s nothing snugglier than being all comfortable and cosy, read on for ideas what to do before and after!
3. Take a warm, bubbly and calming bath with candles for a relaxing ambient. Baths are known to be relaxing, try to practice ‘Mindfulness’ whilst you’re in there. Become an observer of your thoughts but don’t get lost in them. Simply be in the moment, notice the feeling of the water, the smell of the bubbles and the warmth. Play some relaxing music or watch something you enjoy. When your brain tries to get you to worry and think too much, notice the thoughts but then bring yourself back to noticing the water, music or candles etc.
4. Read a book. I’m not a huge fan of reading but I know a lot of people are and find it a good way to shut of their thoughts and escape into the words and stories on the pages. Although If I was going to pick a book to read a bit out of, it would be ‘Demi Lovato’s Staying Strong 365 Days A Years’ which I reviewed HERE. You could even read your chosen book in the bath!
5. Pick a feel good, funny film and watch it. A film your guaranteed to laugh at. Get under the covers or snuggle under a blanket on the sofa and have a giggle. I recommend Brides Maids.
6. Cuddle your pet. I love cuddling my dog when I’m feeling down, its like they can tell your not feeling your best and can make you feel so loved.
7. Make a cup of tea, hot chocolate or coffee. There is something lovely about the warmth of a drink, we tend to associate hot drinks with cosy and comforting times.
8. Do something creative, paint a picture, draw, paint your nails, bake some delicious cute cupcakes, clear out your room, you know what they say clear room, clear mind! Being creative makes us feel productive and good about ourselves.
9. Go for a walk, either with someone, walk your dog or alone. Go somewhere pretty, take in the views and fresh air. It doesn’t have to be far but sometimes removing yourself from your current situation or surroundings can clear your head and get rid of that groggy, fed up feeling making you feel more alert and able to process your thoughts and feelings. Plus our bodies love fresh air, that’s a fact.
10. Go to the shop, buy fresh flowers, a beautiful smelling candle, a magazine, some naughty foods and any other supplies that make you feel good. Go home arrange the flowers in a vase and put them in the room you spend the most time in, light the candle and read your magazine whilst munching on your favourite yummy foods or sip on a warm drink.
These are just a few things we can do when we’re feeling down. Let me know in the comments what you do if your feeling down or any other suggestions you have for me or anyone else feeling down in the dumps and needing to turn that frown up side down!